Sunday, July 19, 2015

My Voice has an Echo


So, now you know the not-so-lovely side of me*.  My struggle --- just what exactly is godly womanhood and what does that look like for me? – has been costly.  To me, personally.  To my gracious and patient husband.  To our kids and, to some degree, their spouses. 

But the issue of disdain for men, of prideful independence, of haughty condescension is not a singularly personal matter. I have read dozens of books on the subject of what it means to be a godly woman, and while I’ve learned a great deal, I’ve been surprised by the disregard of many Christian authors for their husbands and brothers --- for the male species in general.  One such book came across my desk recently and within the first twenty pages I had highlighted four sarcastic, condescending (presumably funny?) quips about the laziness, stupidity, and general “cluelessness” of men. I did not finish the book.

 Just a cursory glance at Facebook offers plenty of examples of women who are quick to mock and/or criticize their husbands.  Status remarks like:  “I sent Mike[1] to the store for whipping cream and he actually came home with Cool Whip.  This is why it is easier to do everything ourselves.”  Followed by these comments:  “Actually, I think that’s why they do it.  So we will stop asking them to do things”, and “The truth is that I doubt they know the difference.  So why bother.”  Ugh.

One episode of “Everybody Loves Raymond” reveals its title as a misnomer.  Ray, whom “everybody loves,” is repeatedly typecast as an unthinking, unfeeling, disengaged, television-watching, sports-loving mama’s boy.  Deborah, his wife, is smarter, kinder, more savvy and productive.  She corrects him, condescends to him, and dismisses him in every episode.  If Deborah’s relationship with Ray is “love,” it’s no wonder this generation is slow to marry.

These examples are not meant to cast dispersion on the “world out there”.  To quote Susan Hunt in her book The True Woman, “I don’t mean to stand in judgment of others.  What is so terrifying is that too often this is my voice.”[2] Deborah’s disdain for Ray too often mirrors my own – for my husband, my brothers, our pastors, for men in general.  

Unfortunately, however, the voice that emanates from my wicked heart has an echo that reverberates throughout our culture in ways that are far more worrisome than snide facebook commentary or sarcastic sitcom humor.  And while it’s easy to spot the dramatic consequences of our collective gender rebellion – such as the recent decision of our Supreme Court to legalize same-sex marriage - the more subtle but equally disastrous effects can be seen in our judicial, economic, educational, and even our healthcare systems.

The ramification of my own failure and disdain as a woman for the men in my life is not strictly "personal".  It echoes the moral sin of our nation -- sin whose influence has had dramatic impact on almost every area of our lives.

If you are skeptical, take this challenge:  watch one hour of news (local or “world”), or read a popular magazine, see what’s trending on twitter, or watch one hour of primetime television.  Ask yourself:  how has the demand for gender equality and uniformity influenced what I am reading/watching?

Do you hear the echo...echo...echo...?

 

 

* NOTE:  This is the second installment in a series



[1] This is a fictitious name
[2] The True Woman, Susan Hunt, p. 50/51

 

No comments:

Post a Comment